Monday 13 October 2008

Talk of Shopping


So, here it is. A good 40 minutes later, and I have no idea whether you will be able to see this properly or not until I publish it, so this all might be a big waste of time!
Anyway. The first receipt is from 21 Sept, which I believe was around the time we started this thing, so seems as good a place to start as any. I believe I ran around Salisbury's on a Saturday afternoon (bad idea) with Willow in an attempt to collect some stuff for packed lunches and something to make for tea. We were both thirsty & hungry and would not be going straight home afterwards, but to Chapel Hall for Willow to be taught here song & dance solo, so got some juice cartons and crisps. We also bought Cheap tinned chopped tomatoes, some seriously cheap reduced price organic fruit and veg, spaghetti, parmesan, and deodorant, so I think we must have had spaghetti for tea, but not with the deodorant.
The second receipt is from Waitrose which I seem to shop at alot at the moment. Normally I do one BIG supermarket shop a month, just after Alex gets paid, in which I buy loads of dried/packet/tinned goods, all the store cupboard ingredients that don't go off. Then I do little shops to purchase perishables such as bread/milk/fruit/veg and anything I might need to make a meal out of something I already have in the cupboard. I also buy the majority of meat from one of two places. Either the local farmers market, once a month (free range local fresh produce) which I stick in the freezer, or a company which delivers frozen free range meat & fish from a huge range which I do every once in a while. This company is more expensive, but the quality is excellent even though it is frozen. I pay a certain amount by standing order to them every month, and when I have enough credit, I do a massive order. Then of course there is the veg box which we had stopped having over the summer as we either weren't here or weren't eating what they put in it, but will get again. We recently changed from Riverford (very good quality, very reasonably priced) to Able and Cole (who I always want to call Cain & Able) who are a little more expensive but VERY good quality, better service, the box comes on a week day, Saturday deliveries with Riverford could be a bit of a pain when you where out, so would the box (and your eggs) sat in the sun all day. Nice. But also because Able & Cole did a mixed Veg and fruit box which meant we actually spent less money in the long run.
So anyway, back to the Waitrose receipts. There are alot of them, and normally I wouldn't go there. The quality is exceptional, but so is the cost. But it is far too handy when dropping off/picking up little ginger boys at Nursery to pop round the corner to Waitrose for a pint and a loaf than getting in the car and driving all the way to Tesco. Just think of the pollution! So I seem to be shopping there quite a bit at the minute, and more so as I haven't been and done a proper big shop as I was more skint.
This particular visit, you will recall was when I picked up my bargain trout fillets for £1.05. I also bought some crisps for myself and Oscar (he likes to have crisps with his lunch) some tomato soup (for our lunch), broccoli, fish, low fat cheddar (tastes like old socks) milk and filo pastry to make some poncey mini flan things when my friends came over one evening. Not alot, but it came to £14. Which is quite alot. Nuff said.
Bed time.

1 comment:

Research Girls said...

Hi Nicola,

can you please take a few minutes when you're writing your next blog to answer the following questions:

1. Please tell us your thoughts about jarred cooking sauces.
Do you use them? Why, or why not?
If not, what would it take to convince you to give them a try?

2. Please tell us your thoughts about microwaveable rice.
Do you use it? Why, or why not?
If not, what would it take to convince you to give it a try?

3. Do you tend to cook from scratch?
Have your habits changed at all recently when it comes to cooking from scratch? Please tell us how and why?
What does ‘cooking from scratch’ mean to you?

4. Please tell us your thoughts on organic jarred cooking sauce products?

5. Please tell us your thoughts on own label jarred cooking sauce products?

6. If you were staying in instead of going out for the evening, would you be likely to change from your normal eating habits? What might you decide to have?

Thanks very much

Rachel